Long story short - the posts from 2011 are from the original attempt with my friends to go to the "Race" group of the Bamako rally, to which I (D, real name David ;)) didn't manage to go in the end. Any posts starting October '12 are from the 2012 attempt with me and the wife :)
Do note, I use all kinds of colorful language, and am politically incorrect. You have been warned.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Hello again!

Quick update - with day-by-day ones to come later:

1) We, Landy 2 and Landy 1 are out of Guinea Bissau and in Dakar, arranging to get the cars shipped,

2) As of this morning, about 50 cars are still impounded and under military guard in Bissau for failure to pay some half-invented quasi-tax no one ever even heard of until the 9th of February - and we have no idea if the convoy back was allowed to leave,

3) We spent a day on an empty border (where we caused a medium-sized international incident), spent the night in some Gendarmes back yard at the same border after going through a mine field, spent another night in "The Vomit boat", aka the Ziguinchor to Dakar ferry, and were spectators in what can only be the West African version of the "Hunger games", which is, let me tell you, no fun at all.


So, watch this space for the next chapter in the exciting saga of "The Budapest Bamako rally by two people who should really stick to 5* hotels that are NOT in West Africa", to be titled "The Road to Hell", which shall then be followed by "Rhinos, Monkeys and Cocks", then by "Did I take a wrong turn by the Baobab and entered the Hunger Games", and also "Border of infinity, or how I spent 1000 EUR on calling my government", "Deliverance and the Boat that Rocked" and finally, "OH-MY-GOD-WE'RE-IN-DAKAR-THANK-YOU-JESUS-BUDDHA-AND-ALLAH".

At least one of those should be up later today. I think. If I manage to repack the car fast enough. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment